DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A gun for Fallout 3?

grond

I'm looking at HSV Blur in Gimp to get a metallic sparkle effect - I put it on the barrel and it looks dandy. I don't want to go back to the 20+ textures I grabbed, from that site, and others. I don't want to! :D

Okay, I might do it later. But right now it looks like it would be perfect...for the planet Endor. :D

That is about how the vanilla game does the 'worn' look on weapons. They also add a lot of 'scraches' to it. If I were you, I would not worry about the texture until the gun was done. And you can always ask for assistance on textures later if you feel your having a hard time with them.

When I retexture my weapons, I always remove the worn look. :D Perhaps its just me, but I feel the gun is your life in Fallout, so you would take very good care of them. Even after 200 years of use! But I seem to be in the minority about that as people always complain my mods look too 'new'.

I like the scratches. So much combat, so much time away from quality cleaners/paints would make the gun look the way it does from the start. It would be great if there could be scripted 'aging' texture swaps...:D There's an idea for you Will!

Anyway, the gun model's done, unless by 'done' you mean 'nifskoped' to go into the game. I'm going to do that tomorrow, I think. That's why I'm doing the texture now! Still going after a custom metal powder coated finish - Endor style. :) It's gonna be scratched though, Will. XD

Tomorrow's gonna be a fun day. Maybe I'll have nice in-game screenshots this time 24 hours from now. :D

Thanks man! I gasped a little when I found the bolts in my packed folder. :D I gave 'em a greenish tint, and because I couldn't figure out how to flip the bolt pic, I had to repaint the reflection on the other side of it.

So get 3 or 4 ( or 20? ) degrading texture replacers and FOSE might be able to swap them as time goes by? That's very cool. I won't try it, though, but I'd make the textures. I've found I favor modeling/texturing over scripting. I'm growing to like pixels as much as vertices. :D

Yup texturing is fun, though I still prefer scripting :D, What you do is have say 4 variations of texture, each one more degraded than the last. You set up 4 nifs each one pointing to a different degrading texture and then use FOSE (Hopefully) to swap the NIF path for the weapon, essentially changin the texture.

Though that comes directly from OBSE experience, I am not sure how FOSE or Fallout deal with meshes and textures.

Cannot wait to see it in-game, gonna re-install fallout so I can use this :D

All day. All day I've been reading and fiddling and swearing. I got the gun into Nifskope, traded out parts with another gun, after resizing mine and exporting it at 100 size instead of 10. Opened the Geck not long ago and made a new weapon. Went to a test cell and tried to drop the gun in. After the gun appeared, looking nice but with the drum set in the center of the gun - just the way it pasted in Nifskope - the Geck crashed.

So close. Look:

So_Close.jpg

Any ideas?

EDIT I think maybe the objects centers were off. I've recentered them and will post later...

EDIT2 Well my centers weren't the reason - the gun I'm replacing has centers that aren't centered within the mesh...so I think after I rest a minute I'll have to move my pieces' centers to match the other gun's. I sure hope that's why it crashed the Geck.

:thumbup:

I think the problem was the gun I was using. I had thought if I used the same weapon ( the Jackhammer from the 20th century weapons mod ) for the copying pieces in Nifskope, it would go easily. Nope. So I used the submachine gun, which was what the creator of the 20th century Jackhammer used.

Look:

JackInGame_01.jpg

I need to tweak the placement of the drum and the trigger. And I'm not through with the textures either. :rofl:

But, uh-oh.

Look:

JackInGame_02.jpg

For some reason, when I added it, it went in as a hand-to-hand weapon.

But we're almost there. For real this time. :thumbup:

Okay, it's settling into my hands now. Just gotta move it in Nifskope.

JackInGame_04.jpg

...And there's a strange half second delay between 'squeezing' the trigger and the gun firing. I'll check it out later.

The fog of the past two months is lifting!

Here's a little video I managed to make. It shows the animation problems, but also it shows the gun I began making in September of this year. :blush:

I might have a nice beverage, sit down, and draft a hit-or-miss tutorial for anybody wanting to do something like this. But that's going to be after I try to mess with the animation. But that's going to be after I further fiddle with the gun's color. But that's going to be after I step away from the computing machine and the Blending and Gimping and Nifskoping and all, and go outside with the Wonderdog.

PANCOR JACKHAMMER FINALLY INGAME - http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/kepcar/?action=view&current=Fallout3JackhammerShow_01.mp4&mediafilter=videos

Muzzle flash? :blush: There's a problem there? ;) I didn't think you'd notice...it's probably the length of the gun versus the length of the one I replaced mine with. If I can change the animation of the clip switch, then I ( probably wrongly ) suspect the muzzle flash would be easy.

As if anything in this endeavor has been easy. :)

Thanks Xini. :blush:

Here's a bad vid of the improved muzzle flash and the new anim I went with...now I have to figure out how to move the drum. I used a different reload anim from another weapon, and in 1st person it looks okay. Too bad I didn't switch to 1st person in the video to show ya.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/kepcar/?action=view&current=Fallout32009-11-2513-48-20-32-1.mp4