DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Past Lesson #3 Homework Submissions

darkstone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Lesson 3 is done.

The house evolved as you will see. A challenging lesson for sure....the results:

12408207.jpg

45289925.jpg

95292115.jpg

77206365.jpg

93964394.jpg

40009882.jpg

51461177.jpg

53739332.jpg

19218385.jpg

311wk.jpg

312p.jpg

314d.jpg

315je.jpg

316jr.jpg

318qf.jpg

The door works, i was able to go into the house thru the save in game and then out the front door. Havnet checked for map marker yet.

Two questions...can i remove the weeds and rushes that grow by the lake? they dont show up in the editor.

I also dont know how to find the lightbulbs..i had to use two lamps to get the right amount of llight but it is just a temporary measure until i can learn to do lights.

Also i got an error ...maybe from putting something in the next door square:

Reference attached to wrong cell for its location

REFR Form "(01007DCA)to STAT form "FencePost01" (0000358C)in Cell 'aaCGTutorialHouseExt' {000041BF)(36,-25) in WorldSpace 'Tamriel" (00000003C)

Continue Playing?

I had something weird happening with two of the pots on the front porch, they were there and i can see them in the file, but when i took pictures at night, two of them were invisible.... do i need to enable far seeing for them?

i just checked again and they ARE there...

missingpots2.jpg

i will start on the basement project as soon as i get enough coffee in me

So the reeds thru the deck are from the local texture...i am afraid to try to change it without asking you because i dont want to get the black texture bug...

Edited by CrisG9

@Spicy- Well done on the basement! You may head to Lesson #4 :)

@Khett- Lovely job, really enjoyed your variation in the basement. :) You may move forward as well! :)

@Cris- Very nice exterior work! Few notes for you. Are those posts MiscItems or Static? You don't want to use MiscItems as holders for static bushes as they can be moved and floating bushes will look silly. As for their disappearing, checking the far seeing check box can help in some cases, but it depends on if that model has the properties to be seen from far away. You'll have to test and see if it helps.

Light objects (lightbulbs) are under Lights scroll through the list to CommonLightOrange and choose the radius (higher the number in the name, the broader the radius) and drag/drop it in the render window like clutter.

As for textures, you need to figure out which texture is adding the reeds, and then you need to paint over it by hand with a NoGrass version. Use this post to show you how to see which textures are at play in that cell:

Once you know, there should be a second version of that texture in the landscape editor that will have the suffix NoGrass in it's name just paint over that area with the No Grass texture to get rid of the reeds. It may take a bit of paiting to nix all the grass, grass is the bane of modders. :)

Your error is a common one for modders, we're not 100% sure what causes it, it could be that you have an object on the border so positioned in two cells. Not sure. You can track down the object noted in the warning and make sure you don't have any in weird places, delete any that are, but even that is not a guarantee. Sometimes you just cant get rid of that warning, don't worry, it won't hurt anything, just click Yes to All and move on. ;)

OK thanks, i will fix the pots, and the grass/reeds with a new texture and correct the lamps and resubmit, i want to be solid on each step as we go and then i will do the basement :) thanks very much.

OK i found the offending post, and as K suggested i cant select it as soon as i click on it the CS switches to the next cell...

so how do i do this:

Also, sometimes you won't be able to select in the reference in the render window because the CS tries to load the other cell as soon as you select it - if that happens, just remove the reference in Gecko or TES4Edit and then replace it in the CS.

Gecko or Tes4Edit... i used Tes4Edit once several years ago to restore a damaged race but dont know much about it...

can you select a cell and its resources and edit it? if so, i will dig but wanted to ask

can i get item numbers from individual items IN the editor by clicking on them and then cut? just curious, i will focus on the main things you gave me to do... pots, lights, textures.. but i am trying to learn anything i can and this certainly may happen again, given my clumsienss with the controls still... tho i hope not.

ok back to work.

Cris we will come back to resolving your post issue in Lesson #4 when we cover TES4 Gecko, just carry on as you were and I'll walk you through hunting and cleaning your error then. Just pretend you didn't read our chat on it until then. :)

OK i will ignore the posts :)

got the lights and pots fixed...

ok textures

so there are four quads in each cell, i see one cell had my new cobblestone texture in it, so that is part of the shore, but if i want to paint over just this sectoin of the shore and keep the rest of the cat tails, do i just go ahead and hit that area with any non cat tail texture? there is no no grass texture that has cattails in it....unless when you say NO Grass it is just any texture without grass in the name?

texremoval.jpg

in this case the offending texture is TerrainBWSandCatails

IS it ok if i just delete a texture (not the top one) in the view window for the quads? Will that remove that texture from that quad?

I cant delete the cat tails from one of the quads because it is at the top of the list.... so i am assuming that means that one cant be touched..

Edited by CrisG9

Save before trying this but you can right click>Replace on any cattails that are not in the first slot and replace them with the no grass version. You can also delete Land_default and paint more no grass where you need to. :)

basement done:

Path Grid:

pathbasement2.jpg

full Basemnent

finalbasement.jpg

basement7.jpg

basement6.jpg

basement3.jpg

basement1.jpg

I had to adjust the link in locations for the doors, at first i had it behind the ladder :yes: and then after i got all done and was checking things over i found that the CS had dropped my name for the file from

aaCGTutorialBasementInt to just aa*

i tried to rename it but was not able to. Arion very kindly looked at my esp after i was all done to try to figure outabout the naming...he figured out that it would not allow a renaming while the door link was active. At least that is what we thought. I was able to create a new versin of it... and i can get in and out of the basement in the game so i think we are ok.

I have the file saved tho, and it works fine, i can get down and up from the basement and everything is stable and the lights work.

Edited by CrisG9

ah i saw a bookcase that was clipping, had to correct...and .... done.

fixed4.jpg

fixed5.jpg

the painting studio area in the basement is part of the evolving quest story to go with this house.....recluse ex mercenary seafaring adventurer seeking solace in the bottle and the brush.... with only his two cats and his memories of a lost love to keep him company.... for now :yes:

Edited by CrisG9

• 4 weeks later...

There is 14 screenshots this time So i figured i'll Just make an album for it and send a link, But below are some comments on them.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/metallica49/Oblivion/Class%203/

The screenshots are not in order that I named them so Ill comment left to right

1.This is the back of the house, where I hope there to be a swinging bench some day :)

2.This is the stable make sure to view at 100%

Here you can see a trough for the Horse, Some Hay, Empty Clutter barrels, a bench, a chair, And if you can see it there is a static chair leaning against the wall In case a fourth guest came about. Also that tombstone has to do with a quest I wrote for this piece of property

3.Here you can see where the platform forms a dock and a bridge makes it's way to the stable.

4. here you can see some fishing stools at the end of the dock I placed in case the people had the need of it.

5. (make sure to view 100% again :rolleyes: ) Here you can see Some landscaping along with my solution to the Empty bottom of the platform.

6. Some more landscaping this time from the right side

7. This is the Pathgrid for the Basement

8. Here you can see some shelfs along (With your tip) a flower pot with a mushroom inside (I dident think a flower would survive long in a basement)

9.Here you can see a Desk a group of candles and a bed in case a guest came along and needed a place to stay.

10. Here you can see a ChainDoll and a weapon rack which includes, 2 iron shortswords a Iron longsword and a iron BattleAxe.

11. here you can see some Decrative Mages Guild Tapestry the Door Reference, a light, and a nice little drawing above the archway(I added the door, Dident notice till after screenshot its 5:40Am)

12.Here you can see the trapdoor from inside the house along with its marker.

13.Here you see shrubs by the bridge some landscaping and a door reference,

14. Here you see front view of the house The Porch Light, Clutter and a Bench.

Basement notes.: I imagine this theme for the basement(although it does not involve any of my quests atm) as a Battle Mages basement. So i put Fighter and mage tapestry, Alchemy items and fighting items, On the bookshelf, the first shelf is full of Mage themed books, and on the top Fighting themed books, on the bottom you can see a crystal ball and a silver dagger. I also only placed one handed weapons because I cant imagine a BattleMage using two handed weapons.

Im off for some much needed sleep. And i look forward to your replys

Very nicely done, you've used your statics very creatively! Be careful with using too many repetitive pieces to create large structures like on your dock, too much repetition creates a lot to render per frame and can cause frame rates to drop for players. There are docks from Anvil, and roped plank bridges from Bravil that could give you the same effect with fewer pieces. Overall very well done, I think you are ready for Lesson #4, full mark! :rolleyes: